What does the service provide?
This service provides a multifactorial assessment for adults who are at risk of falls or have had a fall. The team will work with you to identify which factors may be increasing the risk of falls and to put interventions in place to reduce these risks. We aim to assess you and agree goals around daily living skills and improving your strength and balance in order to maximise your independence in the community and to prevent further falls. The team can visit you in your own home or residential home.
The assessment might include:
- Assessment of mobility, balance and muscle strength
- Assessment of home hazards
- Screening for urinary incontinence issues
- Screening for visual problems
- Medication review
- Cardiovascular, neurological and cognition examination
- Osteoporosis screening
Intervention may include:
- Prescribing a strength and balance exercise programme
- Attending our Better Balance Class at Redhill YMCA
- Referral onto community falls prevention activity classes
- Installing grab rails/stair rails if required to assist activities of daily living
- Provision of equipment to assist activities of daily living
- Provision of walking aids
- Fear of falling strategies
- Referral onto other services required e.g. dietitian/podiatrist
The Falls Prevention Service consists one part time Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registered physiotherapist and an associate practitioner. We work closely with specialist nurses, local GPs, hospitals, community nursing and social services to ensure the best possible support and advice is available to you.
How to refer
Patients referred to our service must:
- Have had 1 or more episodes of falls within the last 12 months with at least one requiring medical attention due to a fall or report recurrent falls
- Have observed balance or gait deficits
- Be registered to GP in the East Surrey CCG area
- Be 65 years old or over
- Be medically stable
Referrals can be made using a fully completed written referral form, letter or by telephone by a qualified health care professional (e.g. Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Nurse, GP, or Consultant) or by the residential home manager after completing the Pre-referral checklist. If you feel you would benefit from this service, you should discuss this with your GP or other health care professional to make a referral on your behalf if deemed appropriate.
- CSP - Chartered Society of Physiotherapy: www.csp.org.uk
- HCPC - Health and Care Professions Council: www.hpc-uk.org
- NHS Falls prevention: www.nhs.uk/conditions/falls/prevention/