This web page is designed to give advice on common musculoskeletal conditions that Physiotherapists treat. To get started, please click on the part of the body you are experiencing symptoms from (e.g. your back or shoulder). This will take you to a list of websites that provide some basic information that may offer help with pain control and may suggest suitable exercise programs or self-help strategies.
Please scroll to the bottom of the page for a list of useful websites that can provide a range of lifestyle advice including diet, getting back to fitness and manage stress and anxiety.
This web page is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. It is intended for general information purposes only. If you have an urgent medical problem please contact your GP, NHS direct or in the case of emergencies call 999.
Please find below useful information for common musculoskeletal neck conditions:
- NHS choices: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Neck-pain/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Patient.co.uk: http://patient.info/health/nonspecific-neck-pain
- Arthritis Research UK: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/~/media/Files/Arthritis-information/Conditions/2024-Neck-pain-inc-exercises.ashx
- NHS choices: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Whiplash/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Patient.co.uk: http://patient.info/health/whiplash-neck-sprain
Cervical Spondylosis (Arthritis of the Neck):
- NHS choices: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cervical-spondylosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Patient.co.uk: http://patient.info/health/cervical-spondylosis
Please find below useful information for common musculoskeletal shoulder conditions:
- NHS choices: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/shoulderpain/Pages/Treatment.aspx
- Arthritis Research UK: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/~/media/Files/Arthritis-information/Conditions/2039-Shoulder-Pain-inc-Excercise-book.ashx
- Shoulder Doc: https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/
- NHS choices: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Frozen-shoulder/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Patient.co.uk: http://patient.info/health/frozen-shoulder-leaflet
- Shoulder.doc : https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/section/16
Shoulder Impingement Syndrome
- NHS choices: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/impingement-syndrome/Pages/Impingement-syndrome.aspx
- Shoulder.doc: https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/section/448
Rotator Cuff Disorders (includes information on Shoulder Impingement Syndrome, Frozen Shoulder and Rotator Cuff Tears)
- Patient.co.uk: http://patient.info/health/rotator-cuff-disorders
- Shoulder doc: https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/section/22
Please find below useful information for common musculoskeletal elbow conditions:
- Arthritis Research UK: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/~/media/Files/Arthritis-information/Conditions/2044%20Elbow%20Pain%2014-1%20complete.ashx
- NHS choices: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tennis-elbow/Pages/Prevention.aspx
- Patient.co.uk: http://patient.info/health/tennis-elbow-leaflet
Repetitive Strain Injury
Wrist and Hand Pain
Please find below useful information for common musculoskeletal wrist and hand conditions:
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- NHS Choices: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Carpal-tunnel-syndrome/Pages/Whatisit.aspx
- Patient.co.uk: http://patient.info/health/carpal-tunnel-syndrome-leaflet
- Arthritis Research UK: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/~/media/Files/Arthritis-information/Conditions/Carpal-tunnel-syndrome_2008_12-1.ashx
Low Back Pain
Please find below useful information for low back pain:
- NHS choices: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Back-pain/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Patient.co.uk: http://patient.info/health/nonspecific-lower-back-pain-in-adults
- YouTube: Dr Mike Evans: Mechanical LBP: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BOjTegn9RuY
- Arthritis Research UK: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/~/media/Files/Arthritis-information/Conditions/Back%20pain%202002%2014-1.ashx
- YouTube: Cheshsire and Merseyside: Back pain help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrtCtEITzeE
Please find below useful information for common musculoskeletal hip conditions:
- NHS Choices: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hip-pain-adults/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Patient.co.uk: http://patient.info/health/hip-fracture
- Arthritis Research UK: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/~/media/Files/Arthritis-information/Conditions/2057%20Hip%20pain%2014-1.ashx
Please find below useful information for common musculoskeletal knee conditions:
Patella Femoral Pain (pain at the front of your knee):
- Patient.co.uk: http://patient.info/health/knee-pain-patellofemoral-pain
- Arthritis Research UK: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/~/media/Files/Arthritis-information/Conditions/2027-osteoarthritis-of-the-knee.ashx
ESCAPE Knee Class:
We are currently running the ESCAPE knee class for anyone who is over the age of 45 and has a diagnosis of osteoarthritis of the knee and hip. The classes run at both Caterham Dene Hospital, East Surrey Hospital and Oxted Therapies Unit. If you are interested in joining the next class, please contact us.
Ankle and Foot Pain
Please find below useful information for common musculoskeletal ankle and foot conditions:
Foot Pain / Footwear General Advice:
- NHS Choices: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/foot-pain/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Arthritis Research UK: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/~/media/Files/Arthritis-information/Conditions/2012-Feet-footwear-and-arthritis.ashx
Heel Pain General Advice:
There are several conditions that can cause pain or symptoms across multiple joints:
- NHS Choices: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/osteoarthritis/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Patient.co.uk: http://patient.info/health/osteoarthritis-leaflet
- Arthritis Research UK: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/~/media/Files/Arthritis-information/Conditions/2025-osteoarthritis-2013.ashx
Tendonopathies / Tendonitis
- NHS Choices: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tendonitis/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Patient.co.uk: http://patient.info/health/tendonitis-and-tenosynovitis
Understanding pain in less than 5 minutes (You Tube)
This YouTube video can help you understand why your pain is continuing for longer than you think it should. This is sometimes caused persistent pain or chronic pain.
The Pain Toolkit:
This website has been put together by professionals and patients to give advice on management of persistent or chronic pain.
Health and Wellbeing
23 ½ hours: What’s the single most beneficial thing for your health (You Tube)
This highlights the importance of exercise and general fitness for everyone, but especially those with pain.
NHS Choices: Couch – 5k
This website gives advice to get you started on the Couch to 5K running plan, including what to wear, warming up and nutrition.
Find a park run near you
If you have concerns about which painkillers or anti-inflammatories you are taking, please consult your GP or pharmacist. Please see below for some general advice regarding painkillers. It is important to use painkillers in order to help reduce your pain, so that you can exercise.
- NHS choices: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Pain/Pages/Whichpainkiller.aspx
- Patient.co.uk: http://patient.info/health/painkillers
- Anti-inflammatories: http://patient.info/health/anti-inflammatory-painkillers
British Dietetics Association: https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/home
These Food Fact Sheets are written by dietitians to help you learn the best ways to eat and drink to keep your body fit and healthy. These resources are for you to download and print for your own reference. The Fact Sheets are for information only: they are not a substitute for proper medical diagnosis or dietary advice given by a dietitian. The Fact Sheets are intended for adults unless they sit under the 'babies and children section' or make a specific reference to babies and/or children. The information is correct at the time of publishing, and undergoes periodic reviews to comply with the Information Standard and ensure up-to-date evidence
IESO Digital Health
Ieso Digital health delivers online CBT and has been demonstrated to deliver the same results as face-to-face therapy. The service is accessible on computer, tablet or smartphone. You can book appointments at a time and place of your choice – for the comfort of your own home if you wish. There is no need to travel, explain to your boss or find transportation.
Think Action can provide face to face counselling or group therapy for patients experiencing difficulties due to low mood, depression, anxiety or chronic pain. They accept self-referrals as well as referrals from your GP and other health professionals. For more information call 01737 225370 or 01483 746900.
Health and Wellbeing:
What is the single most important thing you can do for your stress? By Dr Mike Evans.
This YouTube video can help you understand and manage stress.
Millions have used Smokefree support to help them stop smoking. Choose from an app, Quit Kit, email, SMS and face-to-face guidance.
NHS Change for life:
Would you or your family like to be healthier and happier? Would you like loads of ideas, recipes and games to help you do this? Then you already know why you should join Change4Life. http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/change-for-life.aspx