What does the service provide?
- A “One Stop” Heart Failure Clinic runs every Monday morning (other than Bank Holidays) alternating between Oxted Health Centre and Birchwood Medical Practice in Horley. GP’s who suspect a patient of having heart failure refer them into our clinic where they will undergo an echocardiogram and clinician review and a written report will then be sent back to the referring GP.
- Education, information and support to those newly diagnosed with Heart Failure
- Ongoing support and advice not only to the patient but to their families and carers too.
Our team consists of Heart Failure Nurse Specialists (HFNS) who provide:
- Nurse led clinics on a weekly basis at Oxted Health Centre, Caterham Dene Hospital, Birchwood Medical Practice Horley, Smallfield surgery Redhill and Greystone surgery Redhill providing specialist nursing assessment and advice on managing Heart Failure.
- Education around what Heart Failure is and how to manage it including lifestyle advice and measures to put in place to monitor the condition
- Advice on the signs and symptoms to look out for which could indicate a “flare up” of the condition and what to do if they notice any of them
- Regular reviews of symptoms, general observations and well- being along with regular blood tests to monitor kidney function
- Individualised care plans to encourage the patient to self-manage their condition (with support of the HFNS)
- An “open door” service with access to the HFNS by telephone if required.
How to refer to the Service
- GP’s who have a suspicion of heart failure can arrange to have a Pro-BNP blood test done and if positive can refer directly into our One Stop Heart Failure Clinics for an echocardiogram and clinician review
- Clinicians can refer in directly to the Heart Failure Nurse Specialist if the patient has a confirmed diagnosis of heart failure (LVEF <45%) on echocardiogram done within the last 12 months
- Patients must be registered with an East Surrey GP.
All clinics have parking facilities. Please allow plenty of time for parking as space can be limited at times.
- British Heart Foundation: www.bhf.org.uk 0300 330 3311