What does the service provide?
When you have Multiple Sclerosis (MS) it can be difficult to find the right person to help you when you need advice, support or care. It may be you have a health problem or a need for equipment. Sometimes knowing who does what is confusing and can put you off seeking the help you need.
Our service offers:Care of people with a confirmed diagnosis of MS from diagnosis to end of life
- Courses for those newly diagnosed with MS – this course gives an introduction to MS with speakers discussing various aspects of living with MS.
- Nurse-led clinics – problem solving, assessment, lifestyle advice, support.
- Symptom management.
- Initiation and monitoring of disease modifying treatments (where appropriate).
- Home visits (as appropriate).
- Lifestyle advice.
- Telephone advice line.
- Referral to other disciplines/agencies.
- Education to health and social care professionals working with people with MS.
- Regular reviews.
- Benefits and grant information.
People with MS in this area are being offered the support of an MS Nurse Specialist.
The MS Nurse Specialist can provide:
- Information and support for patients who have recently been diagnosed with MS.
- Information about MS and the treatments and medicines used.
- Ongoing support for people affected by MS, including their family and carers.
- Specialist nursing assessment and advice on the management of MS.
- Links to other services that can support you in managing your MS.
- Teaching for other health and social care staff to help them understand MS.
- Input into service developments for people affected by MS.
Contact the MS Nurse Specialist:
- If you have a question about your MS or treatment options.
- If you are concerned by any symptoms you are experiencing.
- If you think you may be having a relapse.
- If you are finding it difficult to cope with any aspect of your MS.
- If you need advice about medication.
- If you want any information about MS.
- If you are admitted to hospital either due to your MS or for any other reason.
- If in doubt phone your MS Nurse.
How to refer
The service is for anyone who has a confirmed diagnosis of MS and is registered with a GP in the east Surrey area. You can refer yourself to the service, it doesn’t need to be through your neurologist, GP or other health or social care professional, although with your permission they may pass your details on.
You can contact the MS Nurse Specialist by phone, fax, letter or e-mail.
You may be asked to complete a brief registration form which asks for some background details and how your MS is presently affecting you. Once this has been returned the MS Nurse Specialist will contact you and arrange a time to meet you.
This first appointment is offered in clinic or in your own home, with family members or carers present if you wish.
Service locationsThe MS team is based out of Caterham Dene Hospital with clinics also offered at Moat House surgery and Birchwood Medical Practice.
Service location maps
Caterham Dene Hospital
Moat House Surgery
Birchwood Medical Practice
Free parking is available on site.
The following organisations also offer support, advice and information: