What does the service provide?
When you have Parkinson’s or a Parkinson related condition it can be difficult to find the right person to help you when you need advice, support, equipment or care.
Our service offers:
- Information and support for those newly diagnosed with Parkinson’s.
- Nurse-led clinics – problem solving, assessment, lifestyle advice, support.
- Giving medication advice and monitoring drug treatments for Parkinson’s.
- Home visits (as appropriate).
- Lifestyle advice.
- Telephone advice line.
- Referral to other disciplines/agencies.
- Education to health and social care professionals working with people with Parkinson’s.
- Regular reviews.
- Benefits and grant information.
People with Parkinson’s in this area are being offered the support of the Specialist Practitioner for Parkinson’s.
The Specialist Practitioner for Parkinson’s can provide:
- Information and support for patients who have recently been diagnosed with Parkinson’s.
- Information about Parkinson’s and the treatments and medicines used.
- On-going support for people affected by Parkinson’s, including their family and carers.
- Specialist nursing assessment and advice on the management of Parkinson’s.
- Links to other services that can support you in managing your Parkinson’s.
- Teaching for other health and social care staff to help them understand Parkinson’s.
- Input into service developments for people affected by Parkinson’s.
Contact the Specialist Practitioner for Parkinson’s:
- If you have a question about your Parkinson’s or treatment options.
- If you are concerned by any symptoms you are experiencing.
- If you are finding it difficult to cope with any aspect of your Parkinson’s.
- If you need advice about medication.
- If you want any information about Parkinson’s.
- If you are admitted to hospital either due to your Parkinson’s or for any other reason.
- If in doubt phone the Specialist Practitioner for Parkinson’s.
How to refer
The service is for anyone who has a confirmed diagnosis of Parkinson’s and is registered with a GP in the East Surrey area. Please ask your Consultant or GP to refer you to the service.
Once a referral has been received the Specialist Practitioner for Parkinson’s will contact you and arrange a time to meet you.
This first appointment is offered in clinic or in your own home, with family members or carers present if you wish.
Oxted Therapies Unit has a small free patient car parking area.
The following organisation also offers support, advice and information:
- Parkinson’s UK www.parkinsons.org.uk 0808 800 0303
Call: 01883 733892
Orchard House, Unit 8A Orchard Business Centre
The Specialist Practitioner for Parkinson’s is often out of the office, in clinic or on home visits but it is possible to leave a message and your call should be returned within two working days.
Hours of service: 8.30am - 16.30